Wednesday, March 08, 2006

jars of clay

A friend recently hit me up for the original Jars of Clay album.I had forgotten how much I used to listen to it. So I fired up on my new iPod (my wife really does love me). More about my shiny new iPod later.

It’s hard to believe the album is 10 years old, for a couple of reasons:
1) The music still sounds unique and original, albeit many others have attempted to duplicate their style. Of course, all music is essentially stealing other people's ideas, so whatever.
2) It’s been 10 years since I first started listening to it. I’m getting old. I remember playing this album in my car stereo while at a campsite after I graduated from High School. And listening to it while driving to Lutsen for a weekend of golf the same summer. And listening to it some more during road trips in college, when it was one of the oldie but goodie cd’s we’d pop in.

I like the entire album, but especially the song “He.” I never really thought about the lyrics until today when I was listening. It’s quite dark. Which is no surprise—I usually like the dark ones.

Daddy, don't you love me?
Then why do you hit me?
Momma don't you love me
Then why do you hurt me?

Fearful tears are running down
The pain you've laid don't speak a sound
Don't take my heart away from me
And they think I fell down, again

No comments: