Today my niece celebrated her first birthday. I married into a family of many nieces and nephews; birthday parties aren't uncommon. And we all live within two miles of my wife's parents'--all 8 grandkids, all under 3 years old. Ana is the oldest. Birthday parties (and weekly Saturday night dinner) are complete chaos. Welcome to my life.
At today's birthday party the "icanthroughabetterpartythanyourlameasscan-ness" was in force. My niece's parents provided a meal of gyros. But they didn't have it catered. After all that would be too easy, especially since my niece's father is Greek. Today's party featured a lamb spinning on that mysterious machine that makes gyro meat, Shawarma. We did shots of ouzo and watched toddlers play on a swingset. We only argued about religion a couple of times.
At times it becomes easy to succumb to the laziness of selfishness. I'm surrounded by family and young children; life abounds. Yet at times I wish they would all just leave me the hell alone. Let me sit in silence and watch tv. Children eager to give me kisses surround me, but sometimes all I can think about is myself, how tired I am, how I just want to sit on the couch and have a drink. This is lazy selfishness. This is pathetic.
Life does not get simpler than a birthday party. Happiness is a swingset and chocolate cake and not having to go to bed at the normal bed time because you're daddy let your get hopped up on sugar from cake and ice cream.
Life does not get simpler than a birthday party. What could be better than shots of ouzo and lamb on a spit?
1 comment:
I've been away from blogland for a while. Tonight I revisited and read many blogs. Then I came to yours.
Ahhhh, your lack of "niceness" feels so damn good.
Post a Comment