Tuesday, December 13, 2005

merry saturnalia

Christmas doesn't make any sense. It's a made up holiday. If there's one thing for certain, it ain't really Christian, for two main reasons: 1) Secular culture has hijacked the holiday 2) In the tradition of most religions, Early Christians created a holiday to coincide with the winter solstice. Keep Saturn in Christmas! That's right - the Christmas Tree is a great way to pay homage to the Roman God Saturn. Oops.

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas. I just wish I didn't have to sit through a church service.
Will somebody please get me an ipod for Christmas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But if I get you an ipod, all you are gonna do is buy 10 CD's in 2006. We can't have that, now can we?

Joe said...

You are so cynical, doesn't eveyone make up a holiday in some sense.

Our pastor actualy discussed the history of Christmas in his advent sermon last week. The purtains actual had laws against Christmas celebrations because I guess for most of its history it was still similar to its pagan roots and mostly a bunch of drukeness and sex.

So maybe Christians should just keep protesting it.

All in all I would like a ipod too.