Thursday, October 06, 2005

8 out of 10

The Common Man, a Twin Cities AM radio talk show personality, often speaks of "the 8 of 10," in reference to his theory that 80% of Americans don't use enough reasoning power.

Our nation's recent Supreme Court nominations have brought to focus a consistently contentious issue: abortion. It would seem here too, 8 out of 10 people act like idiots.

Some thoughts about the issue:
1) I'm pro-life. Sort of.

I don't like the idea of pregnancies ending for unnatural reasons. To me, it's tragic. But politically speaking, I'm pro-useyourdamnbrain. Keep reading.

2) I can't figure out why more Republicans aren't pro-choice.

There is a strong libertarian wing to the Republican party. You know the type: "Let me have my guns, my big cars, and my land. Don't pass any laws which impose on me. Don't pass any laws that limit anyone's freedom. This is America dammit. If I want to drive a tank down the highway and shoot at squirrels while waving my confederate flag and listening to Charlie Daniels, then it's my right to do so. The government has always been too big and is always putting their nose into my business."

Why aren't these types also pro-choice? It logically follows that they should be.

3) Making abortions illegal is *not* the best way to stop them. Abortion is the result of a larger cultural problem, not the cause. Even if James Dobson thinks elsewise. (BTW, when did James Dobson get so political? Couldn't he just stick to his preaching about family?)

The best way to stop abortions is to limit the number of unwanted, unplanned pregnancies. Period. If people don't get pregnant when they don't want to (or are unable to provide for a child) they won't have an abortion.

What perplexes me is that the people who scream the loudest about making abortions illegal are the usually the same people who think teaching children about sex is from the devil and that we shouldn't give "hand outs" (like contraception) to those who can't afford it. I could live to be 1000 and this will never make any damn sense.

4) Why are many people who are willing to speak in grossly general terms like "we support life" also willing to support the death penalty?

5) In regards to Supreme Court nominations: aren't there better things to worry about? Listening to James Dobson talk, you'd think he was convinced that unless we reverse the Roe v. Wade decision, the Mexican army is going to invade America and help gay terrorists burn churches.

But there are more important issues. When a woman chooses to have an abortion, your life (unless you are the woman or the baby) isn't changed. However, if your city council tells you they are tearing down your house because they are putting up a walmart, you've got problems. And thanks to a recent Supreme Court decision, city governments now have the right to take your private property, even if you don't want to give it to them. Now that's a real issue, one that could potential change your life.

6) 8 out of 10 Republican voters are being taken for a ride by their political candidates. The Republican party doesn't really want to make abortion illegal. How would they get people to the polls?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joel, would you care to comment on your stance on post-womb abortions?

I see alot of people everyday whose mothers choose to not have an abortion, but looking at them now, they should now be aborted for any number of reasons. The poor fetuses that were aborted never even got a chance. These bastards did get a chance and messed up, I say let's abort them! If there is any question as to who to post-womb abort and not post-womb abort, I would gladdly step in as the judge.

Anonymous said...

"If I want to drive a tank down the highway and shoot at squirrels while waving my confederate flag and listening to Charlie Daniels, then it's my right to do so."

Were you following me last night? Maybe not, since you didn't mention the spotlight I was using to find and paralyze the squirrels. If you were following, you best watch out. I shoot at two things...animals that taste better dead, and liberal weenies...nuf said.

jb said...

nice to hear from you again, rev. jimmy.

Anonymous said...

When you see the Mexican Army coming, point them in the direction of Ham Lake... I could sure use the reinforcements!

Need a new shirt?

And as a side note, I think we can all agree that overturning Rove v. Wade will only result in innumerable back alley and $50 hotel room, unsafe, unsanitary abortions... unless you are filthy rich enough to have your private MD take care of it quietly for you...

Anonymous said...

You may want read the section of the book Freakanomics that deals with the cause and effect between abortion becoming legal and the drop in the crime rate 17-20 years later. That's enough to get the conservatives in a tizzy.

Anonymous said...

One more for your list ...

4a) Why do some Pro-Lifers murder Planned Parenthood physicians and staff?

Anonymous said...

Keep on adding...

4b) Why are some pro-choicers for allowing murder of innocent children, but against the death penalty for guilty, convicted criminals?

It cuts both ways....

Anonymous said...

I saw this article in today's Pioneer Press. Abortions are down ... Teen Sex Data That Parents Can Applaud

pearl said...

Well put. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Tony Campolo remarked about what one of his friends said to him on this issue: "The problem with you pro-lifers is you think life begins at conception and ENDS at birth." I think if all of us crazy gun toting conservatives would latch on to the truth of that statement, we would find ourselves having a voice that people are actually listening to.