
I'm a whiskey snob, but I'm also a coffee snob. Several mornings a week I drop into my local Dunn Bros for a cup of their fresh dark roast. Other mornings, I make my own brew. Just as I am continuously questing for the perfect whiskey, I'm also forever seeking the perfect cup. Pouring a good tumbler of whiskey is simple: open bottle, dispense elixir. Pouring a good cup of coffee has proven a bit more problematic, as there's a bit more involved.
To date, my favorite coffee maker is the Cuisinart Grind & Brew. A key element to a good cup of coffee is freshly ground beans. This usually entails a messy process involving two small appliances, the coffee grinder and the coffee maker. In another feat of American laziness, the Grind & Brew eliminates the frustration of trying to transfer your beans to your coffee maker without dumping half the coffee grinds on the floor.
The Cuisinart Grind & Brew is the pinnacle of home brewed convenience, but a French Press is the queen of home brewed excellence. I've recently begun using a French Press, and it produces the best tasting coffee this side of the coffee shop.
Here's how it works:
1) Put water into tea kettle, proceed to bring water to a boil.
2) Grind beans. A french press demands a coarse grind to prevent unwanted coffee residue to pass through the press.
3) Put hot water into a tea pot, allowing the tea pot to warm up. Unlike the traditional coffee maker, you're not going to want to keep the coffee in the French Press when it's done brewing. I figure you have two options: turn on the warming pad thingy on your traditional coffee pot; or use the cute little tea pot you received as a wedding present. I usually prefer option 2 because it gives me an excuse to utilize an accessory I'd otherwise never pick up.

4) Put coarsely ground beans into press, fill press with water, give it a quick stir, and attach lid to the press.
5) Wait 4-5 minutes.
6) While waiting, drink big glass of water to offset the upcoming diuretical effects of an intense caffeine buzz.
7) Depress plunger slowly.
8) Pour coffee into coffee pot and/or your favorite mug.
3 comments:
So...what do you do if the result described in step #6 is the goal? You gotta get things moving somehow...
I guess I should write better. What I meant was: Drinking too much coffee without water in my system gives me a headache.
Drinking whiskey and drinking coffee are simular in this regard; both require a bit of prep work, as both seem to dry me out and give me headaches.
Sounds like making tea - with loose tea leaves.
Pete and I are in love with the Italian moka pot - makes very nice espresso which we combine with milk - yum!
Post a Comment