
For most of the last week, Hurricane Katrina has been the topic of conversation amongst my family and friends. My thoughts about the situation are still a bit jumbled, but a few things seem to be certain: the time it has taken to evacuate New Orleans is unacceptable; the damage is mindblowing; words are unable to express the sincerity we feel when we silently utter prayers for the victims.
When pondering out nation's recent tragedy, my mind becomes a hodgepodge of conflicting thoughts. The proverbial demon and angel tickle my shoulders, whisper in my ears. But I know not which is which.
In desperate times, people say desperate things. Emotion rather than reason proves the ultimate guide. Even the thoughtful among us succumb to the power pulsating in our hearts rather than the guidance buried our minds. Anger becomes rage, humility becomes self-centeredness.
Based on the news reports, the situation is as perilous as it can be. 80% of New Orleans has flooded, bodies are floating around the city, looting is rampant, over 2 million are without power, the death tool is around 100 and expected to rise into the thousands. By the way - I have one question for the gentlemen and ladies looting T.V.'s: where do you think you are going to plug it in?
"This is our tsunami," Biloxi Mayor A.J. Holloway told the Biloxi Sun Herald newspaper.
"I can only imagine that this is what Hiroshima looked like 60 years ago,'' said Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour after touring the destruction by air Tuesday.
In my lifetime, Hurricane Katrina is the worst natural disaster to affect the shores of America. But let's keep things in perspective. As horrible as things may be, the loss of life does not compare to Hiroshima or the recent tsunami in the Indian Ocean.
Think the demon on my shoulder is whispering louder than the angel?
Some facts:
Death toll from Katrina at the time of this writing: 105 (but expected to rise into the thousands).
Death toll from the tsunami: 255,000.
Death toll in Hiroshima: 190,000.
I mean not belittle the tremendous catastrophe and destruction caused by hurricane Katrina, but this disaster is but a fraction of what the tsunami was. I'm sure the mayor of Biloxi has a lot on his mind. But comparing the fate of Biloxi to the fate of millions of inhabitants of Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Bangledesh, India, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Somalia, Kenya, and Tanzania is a bit extreme, a lot overdramatic, and only reinforces the depths of American ethnocentricism. It's as if we are convinced American lives matter more than those from Sri Lanka.
2 comments:
Ah, thank you for your words. I have my own Katrina blog stewing in my mind but nothing, as yet, has formed itself into blog form.
I have heard many times recently words along these lines, "This doesn't look like America." "I can't believe this is happening here." My God, are we that spoiled? Yes, I guess we are.
The situation in New Orleans was/is grievous but there are situations like this around the world that are never addressed. People without food, water, clean living situations that cry out for help and justice but never get it. My prayer is that those who have experienced this devastation will never again be able to see the world situation with the same eyes.
You mess with mother nature, you're going to get messed with. You build a city, that on average is 6 feet below sea level and the storm of the year/decade/century (which was known to be coming, unlike the tsunami which was a natural disaster but with a 15 minute warning at best or a nuclear warhead which is a human disaster/achievement?, either way both dumn analogies) is bearing down on you, you evacuate. If you don't, you take whatever risks may be there. Unfortunately, some paid for those risks with their lives. Huricanes have happened for years and I would be willing to bet will happen for a few more years. It will be interesting to see what is learned from this tragedy.
My guess is that since humans have an "addiction" to water/costal areas that N.O. will be rebuilt where it is today and nothing will change. It might not be N.O. but somewhere else will get destroyed next time there is a big storm...
There is nothing special or surprising about any natural disaster when you think about it. I don't know why it surprises people to see the damage that is there. Mother nature is pretty powerful when she wants to be and to think that we are above her is crazy.
I think I might be rambling/going in circles/not making sense so I am going to stop.
Post a Comment