Tuesday, March 22, 2005

sunday school revisited, part 1

I have big aspirations; today's topic is intended to be the first in a semi-regular series.

Periodically, I hope to present morsels of goodness which will induce a reaction of surprise. For each piece in the series, the common theme intends to be one which should invoke the following reaction: "I sure as hell didn't learn that in Sunday school!"

First, a couple of initial, yet parenthetical, observations:
My religion (Christianity) has many skeletons in the closet. And we Christians are fickle about them. We don't enjoy owning up (nobody does when it comes to matters of faith); we're much more comfortable sweeping sins of our mothers and fathers under the rug, implicitly imagining we've honoured our prescribed penance.

My religion's holy book (the bible) has many strange and unusual writings. And we Christians are fickle about them. We'd much rather pretend they don't exist; instead of accepting the bible as it is, we create a bible of our own, conveniently ignoring the parts which don't jive with the god we've created in our own image.

My intent is not to ridicule my own faith, but to acknowledge some things we Christians often feel uncomfortable talking about (much less thinking about). In doing so, I hope to find the freedom which comes when one laughs at one's self. I find life to be better when taken a bit less seriously; a healthy dose of frivolity certianly can't hurt religious dialogue.

Enough preaching. On with today's "I sure as hell didn't learn that in sunday school!" observation.

In Jeremiah 13, God announces a judgment to God's people. "And if you say in your heart, 'why have these things come upon me?' it is for the greatness of your iniquity that your skirts are lifted up, and you are violated...because you have forgotten me and trusted in lies, I myself will lift up your skirts over your face, and your shame will be seen" (Jer 13.22,26).

Has your skirt ever been "lifted up" because God was pissed at you? Was this what was really going on in the famous picture of Marilyn Monroe?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So when was Jeremiah written? I thought around 5th or 6th century B.C. All I want to know is what the skirts looked like back then. I'm guessing a little more modest than Ms. Monroe.

Anonymous said...

When are you going to write a book? You're way too good at this writing thing to just stick with blogging.

Oh, and I sure as hell didn't learn that little piece of info in sunday school!