Friday, August 24, 2007

life happens

Ana (my almost 4 year old daughter) and I go to Caribou Coffee together on dates. Do you ever wish you could make time stand still?

Ana is in a precious "why?" phase. Everything I say results in "Why Daddy?" The situation vexes me. When I say "I need a drink," I'm not comfortable with someone hitting me in the shins and saying "Why do you need a drink, Daddy? Is that your special drink?"

There are some memories which will certainly live with me forever. Each day this week, I've gone to Caribou with my daughter. She is especially excited because she gets to go somewhere with just Daddy - there's five of us now....the blog didn't mention it but my wife and I had another kid....back to the story of Ana and Daddy - we go to Caribou, I order the largest goddamn coffee they have (newborn at home) and Ana predictably orders the BlueBerry muffin. Then we sit at a table (and I put away my BlackBerry) - she gets to pick whatever table she wants - and we chit chat. Her legs dangle over the chair, too short to touch the floor, and she starts asking me questions: why do cars have wheels? Why are muffins good? Why are you so big? Why is Sam funny? Why is Caribou better than Starbucks?

And I'm happy. There's no place I'd rather be. Simplistic topics are important to her. I'm important to her. Heaven is here.

No comments: