As I posted the entry "ladies joy, hansum man, missing nascar." I was missing nascar. Some 'splainin' is in order...I'm not giving any-those who know...know. I'm not a car racing fan. Tony Stewart rocks.
JPK, if you read this, please know that you mean as much to me now as you did on those nights sitting in front of the oven, frugally trying to keep warm, drinking vodka gimlets, and dreaming of life. The lives we dreamed are the lives we've led, surprisingly. I wish you well.
And for those of you wondering, we sat in front of the oven because we kept our thermostat set at 50 degrees in the winter. Minnesota gets colder than 50. Believe me. Heating is expensive, so we told visitors to put on a sweater. Before we went to bed, JPK and I would open the oven door, crank it to 500, and wait for the soothing warmth as we soothed our nerves with too much vodka, soothing our souls with honest conversation.
Matthew recently visited. He wrote nice things about me (see below).
Matthew and I are friends because we are equally curious. We hold our opinions loosely, with hope they will be challenged. We doubt most things. We hold tightly to some things. It's strange--I've never been too certain about anything in my life. But I'm certain about my feelings for my daughter and my son and my wife. Matthew feels the same for his wife. To me, this is beautiful.
Joshua is the most decent and honest man I know. We're more alike than we care to admit. Too bad you don't like whiskey. I have stories to prove it. A proverb for everyone to remember: Just because it's on sale doesn't mean you need to buy it.
1 comment:
Amen, brother Ben.
I'll give you a call this weekend. We've had a few more curve balls thrown at us since I last spoke with you.
Post a Comment