Thursday, April 28, 2005

swords into plowshares


Like most people, I enjoy it when smart people agree with my viewpoints. In a previous post, I express my distaste for our president's actions after 9/11. Mr. Bush called for national vengeance. I believe a true leader would have called for repentance.

I suspect that hidden within our president's call to vengeance is the conviction that God is on our side. We're America, dammit. We're the land of the free. We're one nation UNDER GOD. Surely God is on our side.

The people of Crossings, a Christian organization started in by two seminary professors, remind us that just because we're Americans doesn't mean God is required to be with us.
But if God does bless America, then He can do the opposite. And the story of the OT, the Revelation to John, the hope of the prophets and the promise of the psalms is indeed that the Lord controls the fate of nations, bringing low and raising up, making both weal and woe. So, even though the attack is not proof of God's disfavor against the USA, we would be guilty of the broadest obtuseness and biblical ignorance if we do not at least ask ourselves whether God may have specific cause to be against us. Can you think of any? Given the centers of attack, we could begin looking at our role in world trade and in military affairs. Again, to ask the question is not to have a prejudice in favor of a positive answer. But if we suspect that the answer may be positive, then it would be first of all up to those who believe that God wants to turn His judgment into mercy to begin the repenting, inviting others to join in.

I am one of the crazy people who believes in the positive answer--we, as a nation, have plenty of sins worthy of repentance. And as one who believes with all his heart that God does indeed want to turn God's judgment into mercy, I intend to begin the repenting, and I invite all whom are willing to join in.

For the entire essay quoted above, click here.
For Crossings' website, click here.

blessings,
the preacher

1 comment:

gloria said...

I'm not sure why I didn't comment on this blog before. Pete (my husband) and I feel deeply concerned, even disturbed by what the republicans and the evangelicals are doing and saying in the name of God. yikes! I think we also feel a bit lonely. It's nice to know there are others out there with similar concerns.